« Back to Employment Opportunities
Employment Type: Full Time
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: $58,000.00 to $65,000.00/year
AAFSC is looking for a dynamic professional to oversee special projects and advance strategic initiatives related to the organization’s key priority areas internally as well as externally. A successful person in this role will have a record as a trusted partner to senior leaders, a respectful supervisor, a diplomatic negotiator of internal change, and an experienced project manager. The Director of Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives will be organized, have high attention to detail, strong writing and presentation skills, and the capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple projects. A strong background in systems-change, project management, monitoring and evaluation, and developing and implementing standard operating procedures is preferred for this role. A commitment to immigrant, refugee and low-income communities is essential for this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Partnership Building and Project Management
- Lead strategic initiatives that require cross-functional engagement with key staff across the organization, and with external stakeholders.
- Oversee successful project and program implementation across priority areas.
- Organize and facilitate regular internal and external meetings, work groups, and other community-building and educational forums.
- Codify best practices and lessons learned throughout each stage of projects or initiatives.
- Conduct research, and design, write, and edit strategy documents, concept notes, briefs, presentations, and other deliverables for a variety of audiences.
- Develop and maintain work plans, milestones and other tools to ensure quality outcomes, including reporting.
Capacity Building and Organizational Learning
- Build and maintain active repository of project documents that is made accessible and available on organizational servers.
- Deepen organizational capacity to work collaboratively with community partners so as to invest resources and convene, organize and support critical work that is underway.
- Develop and deliver customized workshops, technical assistance and presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate across teams by working with program leadership to implement data driven strategies to their programs, as required by evolving programmatic or reporting needs.
- Create framework for evaluating impact, effectiveness, quality and progress of initiatives and programs.
- Provide clear and useful reports for staff, board, and other stakeholders as needed to improve strategies and programs that comply with strategic plans and respond to client needs.
- Develop and manage schedule of quality assurance activities.
- Design and build custom reports in databases for quality assurance, program and performance management, and grant management purposes.
- Proactively identify and implement opportunities for data collection improvements.
- Develop and administer surveys, focus groups and other program assessments to establish an ecosystem map of clients’ needs and gaps in needs across all programs.
- Utilize client and employee input, evidence-based models, stakeholder feedback and research to inform program design.
- Ensure all paperwork and documentation is completed in a timely manner.
Staff Support and Training
- Act as a thought leader with program leads and senior management to identify strengths and gaps in programming, develop process maps, and improve programming and projects across all priority areas.
- Manage training resources and develop new materials as needed.
- Provide additional or ongoing training and support to staff as required.
- Coach and lead diverse teams towards alignment in data, outcomes and overall organizational hygiene.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in AAFSC management and leadership meetings.
- Oversee the hiring, training, and supervising of staff and interns for special projects.
- Attend regular meetings and special events as needed, as an ambassador of AAFSC.
- Perform other duties assigned as necessary by Chief Operating Officer.
Background and Position Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience supervising and managing staff and teams.
- Experience in executive-level relationship building; management skills with diverse constituent groups, staff, board members, volunteers and donors.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a variety of concurrent projects.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision-making.
- Proactive and self-motivated to execute on responsibilities.
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running.
- Passion for AAFSC’s mission and vision.
- 12 sick days
- 5 floating holidays
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 vacation days per year (up to third year of employment); 20 vacation days per year after 3 years of employment
- After 3 months, eligible for health, dental, and vision insurance (individual is fully covered at 100%; additional family is covered by employee under or outside of plan)
- 403b Plan
- Commuter Benefits Plan
- Voluntary Aflac Coverage
The Arab-American Family Support Center (AAFSC) is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization created in 1994 to provide multi-generational social services to marginalized and underserved immigrants and refugees in New York City. AAFSC is dedicated to serving all people who seek our services, and over our almost 25 years of service we have developed expertise in providing culturally and linguistically competent, trauma-informed services to the Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (AMEMSA) immigrant communities of New York City. The youth and families we serve are predominately low-income, have limited proficiency in English, and are recently arrived. Our holistic programming responds to the direct needs of our clients as they adjust to life in the United States. AAFSC’s mission is to empower new immigrants with the tools they need to successfully acclimate to the world around them and become active participants in their communities.
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.