« Back to Employment Opportunities
NNAAC Transformative Leaders Fellow
Employment Type: Part-Time Fellowship
Reports To: Director of Development and Communications
Salary: $3,500 stipend
Hours Per Week: 16
Start Date: September 2, 2019
The Arab-American Family Support Center (AAFSC) is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization established in 1994 to provide culturally and linguistically competent, trauma-informed social services. Across our eight locations, we empower immigrants and refugees with the tools they need to successfully acclimate to the world around them and become active participants in the community. While we support anyone who walks through our doors, over nearly 25 years, we have developed expertise in serving the Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (AMEMSA) immigrant and refugee communities.
AAFSC works across four priority areas—Promote, Get Ready, Prevent, and Communicate—to achieve our ultimate goal of strengthening families. AAFSC promotes mental and physical wellbeing, food security, healthy relationships, and family reunification. We get our families ready to succeed, work, and lead productive lives. We prevent domestic violence, child abuse, and neglect by counseling families, offering case management services to victims of violence, and cultivating healthy relationship skills in young people. Finally, AAFSC communicates the needs of the marginalized, amplifying their voices for increased impact.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support staff on donor database and server management
- Write and edit blogs for AAFSC website, content for social media platforms, and acknowledgement letters for donors
- Help coordinate various outreach and cultivation events
- Conduct donor prospect research
- Work with Communications team to create and manage collateral (flyers, newsletters, etc.)
- Assist with other development and communications tasks as needed
- Support Youth Program by tutoring elementary, middle and high school students in all academic subjects with a focus on English as a Second Language, STEM, or Literacy
- Maintain classroom discipline with students and volunteers
- Develop relationships with students based on respect and trust
- Be a positive role model to students
- Enter participant information on DYCD and internal database software
- Assist in administration of surveys, focus groups, and other program assessments
- Support in documentation of student progress
- Research and suggest improvements to Youth Program in order to create a culture of continuous improvement
Ambassador and Champion
- Every AAFSC team member serves as an ambassador of the organization and champion of AAFSC’s mission, vision, and values. This includes the following:
- Model best practices and behaviors for cultivating relationships on behalf of and in support of the organization for entire staff.
- Ensure clear lines of communication are in place between Development Team and Program Teams.
- Attend cultivation events as an ambassador to the organization.
- Always act with integrity, positivity, dedication, and professionalism within the office and externally. This includes, but is not limited to, email communication, verbal communication, communication with colleagues and peers, communication with clients, or communication with external partners of agencies.
- Attend professional development and capacity building trainings
Background and Position Requirements
Candidate must identify as Arab-American and must be a current junior or senior in college or recent graduate, per NNAAC requirements. Experience in nonprofits, volunteering, and policy helpful. Desire to learn about nonprofit management and leadership skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
Please email your resume by July 25, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org