< < < Back to Employment Opportunities
Preventive Services Supervisor
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY and Queens, NY
REPORTS TO: Preventive Services Director
The Arab-American Family Support Center (AAFSC) is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization established in 1994 to provide culturally and linguistically competent, trauma-informed social services. Across our eight locations, we empower immigrants and refugees with the tools they need to successfully acclimate to the world around them and become active participants in the community. While we support anyone who walks through our doors, over nearly 25 years, we have developed expertise in serving the Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (AMEMSA) immigrant and refugee communities.
AAFSC works across four priority areas—Promote, Get Ready, Prevent, and Communicate—to achieve our ultimate goal of strengthening families. AAFSC promotes mental and physical wellbeing, food security, healthy relationships, and family reunification. We get our families ready to succeed, work, and lead productive lives. We prevent domestic violence, child abuse, and neglect by counseling families, offering case management services to victims of violence, and cultivating healthy relationship skills in young people. Finally, AAFSC communicates the needs of the marginalized, amplifying their voices for increased impact.
The Supervisor will be accountable for providing day-to-day support, leadership and general supervision to the Preventive Services program and staff. The most successful candidate will be one who has strong administrative and management skills including strategic planning, resource allocation, and coordination of government agency requirements. He/she will be organized, professional, and detail oriented, will thrive under pressure, and be willing to work on multiple projects. A commitment to immigrant, refugee and low-income communities will also be essential for success in this role.
To effectively support and supervise a trauma-informed, culturally-responsive, and linguistically-appropriate community-based preventive program that focuses on providing counseling and clinical interventions to at-risk children and families. Supervisors will assist in the overall functioning of a general preventive program with the goal of reducing the number of children who enter into the foster care system.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Staff Support and Training
- Manage and delegate responsibilities involved in day-to-day PPRS operations to allow for efficient and streamlined programming.
- Provide weekly individual supervision to case planners and case aides.
- Write-up and upload monthly documentation of supervisory reviews. Ensure timely upload of reviews.
- Remain up-to-date on case history and progression of cases to be able to provide adequate supervision on casework practice.
- Take lead in onboarding process for PPRS staff; ensure quality onboarding and training of new and existing case planners and case aides.
- Monitor and adjust time sheets as needed.
- Practice and encourage office norms (use of calendars, checking email, etc.)
- Submit closing packets
- Attend ERCs and Child Safety Conferences
- Conduct employee three-month evaluation and annual evaluations
- Assign cases to Case Planners and Case Aides using PPRS databases.
- Facilitate communication between case planners and case aides through one-on-one supervision as well as scheduling and hosting monthly team meetings.
- Communicate regularly with staff and troubleshoot issues related to casework with the help of Program Directors (when needed)
- Review and approve FASP and Plan Amendment submissions, all supervisory documentation and case consultation.
- Collaborate with Director of Preventive Services to ensure that all staff training needs are continually met. Ensure quality professional development of case planners and case aides.
- Ensure FTCs are being held within a timely manner (56 days before FASP due date/28 days after), as well as uploaded using proper coding.
- Review and ensure quality of case notes, FASP reports, etc.
- Ensure timely uploads of casework contacts, notes, FASP reports, etc. [all contacts must be added to Promis by the 5th of the following month
- Review casework documents (legal documents, furniture requests, IC forms, etc.)
- Collaborate with the Director of Preventive Services to ensure program meets all city and state funding targets and benchmarks (for instance, safety assessments, case work contacts, family team conferences, preventive based funding targets, etc.).
- Must assist to ensure that program is in compliance with all case planning and supervisory documentation.
- Ensure confidentiality requirements are observed and practiced
- Attend internal and external trainings
- Assist in intake component of the program: JHV, assessing, Advop cases, etc.
- Ensure monthly casework contacts are conducted.
- Review and ensure case notes are uploaded in a timely manner (5 business days)
- Ensure case files are up-to-date.
- Ensure quality casework practice, which includes safety and risk assessment of children and families and case progress.
Data, Evaluation, & External Relationships
- Ensure data entry meets contractual and AAFSC program requirements.
- Attention to detail, responsibility and dependability in data reporting to external and internal database platforms.
- Track and offer suggestions for improvements in key performance indicators for preventive services.
- Attend regular meetings and special events as needed.
Ambassador & Champion
- Every AAFSC team member serves as an ambassador of the organization and champion of AAFSC’s mission, vision and values. This includes the following:
- Cultivate relationships on behalf of and in support of the organization in partnership with Senior Leadership and the Development & Communications team. This includes being sensitive to and aware of others, providing every client, partner and participant with high-quality service, professional communication, and follow through, and always keeping Senior Leadership and the Development & Communications team aware of any opportunities, challenges, or updates.
- All team members are expected to support the Development and Communications team with any requests in a timely manner, including, but not limited to: grant applications, reports, attendance at meetings, hearings, or other events, and sharing of AAFSC social media, flyers, and other externally-facing communications.
- Always act with integrity, positivity, dedication, and professionalism within the office and externally. This includes, but is not limited to, email communication, verbal communication, communication with colleagues and peers, communication with clients, or communication with external partners or agencies.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in AAFSC management meetings.
- In the absence of PD, take on additional responsibilities as needed.
- Conduct home visits as needed
- Participate in interviews of potential new staff.
- Participate in other meetings and conferences as needed.
- Perform other duties assigned as necessary by Preventive Services Director.
BACKGROUND & POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field required.
- Previous management experience in Preventive Services highly preferred as well as knowledge of child welfare and ACS mandates.
- Ensure ethical casework practice is being done.
- Must have experience in using CONNECTIONS, PROMIS, Data Warehouse, and STARS.
- Knowledge of the Preventive Measurement Assessment System (PAMS) strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in creating, implementing and measuring effectiveness of programs preferred.
- Bilingual language ability as well as experience working with immigrant, refugee and low-income communities is strongly preferred, including Arabic, Urdu, and/or Bengali language skills.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills are required as well as competency in Microsoft Office Suite is required.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends to manage crises, attend events, or meetings.
- Job contingent on pre-employment background check and fingerprint clearance.
- U.S. Work Authorization is precondition of employment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume, cover letter outlining your fit for this position, and a list of three references (not family members) to email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals are encouraged to apply.